Wednesday 24 July 2013

The first 3 weeks

Hi, I’m Andy Coates and hopefully this will be the first of many blogs during my time as a Fire and Ice intern!










I’m a few weeks into my 6 months here and I've had a brilliant and interesting time already. The nerves of starting a new job were quickly overcome by the friendliness of my colleagues here and they have all made it easy to settle into the job.

The first stumbling block I had to overcome was the early mornings. 3 years of being a student has taken its toll on me and having to set my alarm and be up for half 6 was definitely a shock to the system. I have to say I've never drunk so much coffee in my life!




 
2 coffees and I'm slightly more awake





So far I've learnt a lot about the events industry and am finding it really interesting. As well as events specifically, this is my first real experience working in an Office environment and there’s definitely a big difference to my previous work places. For one, I haven’t done much phone training in a business environment. Although it sounds like a fairly mundane thing, I could see the fear in all the intern’s eyes as the first couple of phone’s started to ring, and even recording my voice mail message took a couple of attempts.






 
The dreaded phone




All the interns have been getting to know the company and having Q&A sessions with different departments has given an insight into what happens day to day in the Office, as well as how each department work with each other. It’s really helped me understand the overall process of organising an event and the different elements which are involved in the running of a successful company.



So, the first few weeks have gone great and I can’t wait for the months ahead. I’m off to Sandhurst for my first taste of a live event and am looking forward to what the day will entail. Lots of hard work I’m sure! I’ll make sure I post details of the event on our twitter (@FireIceInterns) and maybe even another blog.




 Follow us interns on twitter for daily updates of what we're getting up to!





I want to say another thank you to everyone in the office for making the first 3 weeks enjoyable and I’m sure over the next 5 months there’s going to be a lot more early mornings, hard work and definitely more searching for the cheapest lunch in Brighton!





No comments:

Post a Comment