Monday 22 July 2013

The struggle of being an Intern


Hi my name is Bascilia Greene-Manja. I have just started my internship at Office Christmas as an Event Co-ordinator. When you start a new job, especially an internship that you really want, its scary. 
You do not want to mess up, you want to impress and show that you are the right person for the job.


I am usually seen as:
      


However,


 My first two weeks have not been going well:
  •   Being late
  •  Not understanding the tasks given which lead to me feeling frustrated. I then started to lose concentration and self confidence. Especially when my colleagues understood and were picking it up so easily.

  •  I started putting myself under more pressure
  • Scared of asking questions
  • Wanting to give up
  •  Doubting myself
The bad things I didn't want to happen were happening; 
I felt like I was in a nightmare that I wanted to wake up from.

A voice in my head saying:
    
 WELCOME TO THE REAL WORKING WORLD
BASCILIA


After confiding to my mum and good friends, they all told me to:
·         Relax
·         Have more confidence in yourself
·         Try harder as this is what you want
·         Fight for it

                                                   
NOT PHYSICALLY FIGHTING! LOOOL




15-7-2013
This week I woke up with a new attitude. Which is to:
  •  Try my hardest  
  • Work at my own pace
  • Take notes
  • Try and remember the tasks set
  • Know a bit more about the tasks and the job
  • Focus and work harder
YEAH! I feel like I am achieving these and I am now relaxed and comfortable at work and being myself.
I know I still have a long way to go but I have taken the right steps to achieve my goals.


Useful tips for other interns that are in the same position as me:



I know what your thinking, its easier said than done. If I can do it you can as I have never had any office, computer or telephone experience. I am willing to learn, so I started picking up calls  and taking bookings frequently to get confident and if I didn't know sometthing (which is often) ASK QUESTIONS.
Don't be shy, do it as you will learn faster. 

When I am under pressure, my brain blanks out and I find it hard to remember things. I was never an exam type of person, so taking little tests about what I have learnt during the week really scared me as I am a visual learner and love asking questions frequently as that's how I get to understand the task. If you are just like me, at the weekends or during your free time, revise on what you have learnt .


I hope I have been an inspiration.


BASCILIA GREENE-MANJA




No comments:

Post a Comment