Tuesday 20 August 2013

How I Got Into Events



My story on how I got into events was not a fairy tale; I know many people say “it was my dream from a young age” or “I eat, sleep and breathe events” blah blah blah. Mine was something I just walked into after University as if I was going into a theatre to watch a play. I loved and enjoyed designing the scenery for performances and my favourite styles are German expressionist and turning olden plays into a contemporary take. I also love watching plays such as Grease which is my favourite. I actually watched it at the theatre as a present to myself (and no I am not a loner) but will leave that for another blog post.

I was fortunate as I studied a degree in Theatre,  Performance and Event design at Birmingham City University. Although I did not major in events, I have been a waitress for more than five years with confidence and developed skills on silver service, table decor, dealing with people and providing excellent guest service at weddings, parties etc.

During my second year at University I was waitressing for a Christmas party in Birmingham at the Clarendon suite where I saw beautiful, eye-catching props and design setting of a Las Vegas theme. I liked the way everything was set up which got me thinking: instead of designing for performance I could design, set up the space and create an event. Although theatre is my first love, it is a difficult industry to get into, which got me thinking working within a company that creates a form of art would be a great first step.

I finally got the courage and approached the designer/ event manager and asked about the company she works for, her job and if they took on board interns. She was extremely nice and helpful giving me all the relevant information. After my course I still applied for theatre and event jobs but the only one that I got a response from was the event company that the designer/ event manager worked for “Office Christmas” which is where I am working today. I am glad and happy I got this wonderful opportunity and I know that I definitely made the right decision.

I know what you are thinking, I am settling for Events as I could not get into theatre I say no as I enjoy designing and creating themes which I can also convey in events.

I know for sure now that I want to be an event designer and manager for different parties and this internship is helping me progress and develop my skills that I would need when I get into a paying job.  I also believe I have an advantage as I am African and have lived in England all my life so I have great understanding of both cultures. This will benefit me when planning events for different cultures in the future. 



Bascilia Greene-Manja


No comments:

Post a Comment