Tuesday 20 August 2013

Top Tips for Overcoming the Fear of Interviews...


Since the beginning of my search for an internship I have been through it all: typing endless cover letters, the long travel to interviews, the extreme nerves, the disappointment of not getting jobs and the feeling that I was never going to get a job. Not to mention how out of pocket I was from travelling many miles to interviews for jobs I just wasn't getting!

During the early stages of my search I believe I wasn't getting any jobs due to my presence at interviews. I was extremely nervous and I was failing to big myself up enough to make potential employers choose me over other candidates. 

Towards the end of my search I understood where I was going wrong and I was a different person! I was calm relaxed and I knew the answers to questions I thought they would ask. This attitude was reflected in my interviews and allowed me to get closer and closer to getting an internship. Interviewers could clearly see I was relaxed and very passionate about the job I was going for. 

Top tips for interviews

Tip 1 – Be Prepared!
Make sure you know your stuff about the company and make sure you have prepared answers to difficult questions that the interviewer may ask you. Doing this a few days before will allow you to have time to prepare but will also allow it to be fresh in your mind. It is also important that you plan questions to ask your interviewer. Not only does it clear up any concerns or queries you may have, it makes you look keen and shows the interviewer you are actually interested in the company and role to are applying to.

Tip 2 – Practice
Practicing on your own will allow you to read out your answer and plan which answer sounds the best. But as well as this ask someone to practice with you. They can give you feedback on ways to improve.

Tip 3 – Don’t put too much pressure on yourself!
Although you may really want the job, it’s not the only job in the world, so remember this before and during the interview and it will make you feel more relaxed.

Tip 4 – Learning experience
Look at each interview as a learning experience. After each interview think what you could have done better. Maybe it was the way you were sitting, the way you projected your voice or your answer to a really difficult question. Try and improve these issues in your next interview.
Remember: always ask for feedback from each interview as this information will really help you to continue improving!

Tip 5 – Don’t be too disheartened
This is the hard one! It is difficult not to be disheartened when you are not chosen for a job but I have learnt that it is important not to take it personally and to continue your search with the same enthusiasm. Towards the end of my search I was becoming more and more stressed and upset that I wasn’t getting jobs I really wanted. However now I look back and I am glad I didn’t get them as I am in a much better position. So don’t worry, keep searching and stay positive! 

Final Tip – Be tactical…
If like me, you are applying to many placements in one go, apply to the ones you are least keen on first. These are the interviews that you will not be as good at so use them as opportunities to practice your interview techniques to help you land the job you really want!

By learning these tips, through applying for 37 placements and 13 interviews, I finally landed an amazing internship at Office Christmas! During my internship we have carried out interview training which has made me realise interviews are continuing learning experiences and the more you practice the better and better you will become!

Good Luck!!

Ella Hagon-Williams 






No comments:

Post a Comment