Wednesday 21 August 2013

The Internship so far

Seven weeks into the internship and I have finally built up the nerves to get started on my very first blog! The fact that it is going up on the internet is a tad daunting, but just taking that first step is the hardest, right? So here it goes, how my experience with the internship ha gone so far inventively titled: The Internship so far.

I have moved from Sunderland to Brighton to take part in this internship and have experience mild culture shock along the way! For one, everything is so much cleaner: the buildings, the pavements and even the seagulls. Saying that, the seagulls are a lot more brazen around here; seeing them stealing sandwiches from innocents hands is a regular occurrence. 

Also, everything is so much more expensive - alcohol especially - after moving from a city where places can be £5 entry with 50p drinks all night, it is mildly depressing. On top of this, I didn't realise how hard I was to understand. I mean, I know I have a Northern accent but I am either mistaken for being Scottish or looked at blankly (with the occasional nod thrown in).

Aside from these mild irritants, moving to Brighton has been an exciting experience for me and most importantly it has allowed me to be a part of this internship! Packing your bags and moving across the country on your own is an intimidating prospect for any one, but so far, for me, it has paid off and I hope it continues to. I have picked up vital skills to carry into my  future career (hopefully) in the events industry. Of course I have learnt the pretty mundane stuff like office and phone skill but, I have also attained many more exciting skills from being on site at events. The setting up of the events and watching things come together is the reason I was drawn towards the events industry after all.

A few weeks ago I was lucky enough to help with the set up of a beautiful Art Deco themed wedding with huge Oscar Trophy and Marilyn Monroe props. It was fun being in the room and watching it being transformed from a simple hotel conference room into something fit for a wedding party.

To sum up in three points the Internship so far has been:
1) Completely different to what I have done before. I have had work experience in the North but nothing that has taught me so much in so little time. 
2) A new experience: as has already been pointed out I am living somewhere different after all!
3) A lot of fun!

So, that was my first blog; a load of babbling that makes little to no sense. However it is done, giving you a little taste of what I have been doing and hopefully it is the first of many to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment